JTBC’s Itaewon Class, which has two weeks ahead of its end, and TV CHOSUN’s Mr. Trot, which remains only with the final round, have constantly occupied the small screen. Although its ratings―13.8 percent and 13.4 percent (provided by Nielsen Korea) respectively on the 6th and 7th―dropped slightly versus the previous week, Itaewon Class retained the No. 1 crown of the weekend dramas on the terrestrial and non-terrestrial TV networks. Meanwhile, Mr. Trot proved its popularity once again by breaking its own highest ratings record through the show broadcasted on the 5th. Let’s check out which other programs have caught the attention of viewers over the past week.
The Dramas on the 1st week of March 2020
JTBC’s Itaewon Class topped the Drama category for three consecutive weeks, breaking its own record-high popularity scores once again following the last week. A preview video of its 13th episode uploaded on YouTube drew keen attention from netizens and showed the huge popularity of the drama. Park Seo Joon and Kim Da Mi also ranked first and second on the Popularity of the Cast chart.
tvN‘s Hi Bye, Mama! took the second place in the Drama category, moving up one notch versus the previous week, but it saw a 7.99 percent decline in popularity. Many netizens have left comments saying that the large parts of other ghosts in the episodes were halving the fun of the series. Kim Tae Hee ranked third on the Popularity of the Cast chart in the Drama category, while Go Bo Gyeol ranked sixth on the same chart.
No. 3 in the Drama category is SBS’s Hyena. It had a 15.95 percent drop in popularity compared to the previous week and has been on the decline for two straight weeks. Nevertheless, Hyena has made headlines thanks to a number of comments from netizens encouraging others to watch the drama, while describing the relationship between Kim Hye Soo and Joo Ji Hoon as “Hyum-gwan (a hateful relationship)” and referring to the couple as the “best Hyum-gwan restaurant.”
tvN’s another series Money Game ended at No. 5 in the Drama category, drawing a rising curve in popularity for three weeks in a row. In addition, SBS’s new drama Nobody Knows debuted as No. 7 in the rankings.
The Top 10 Popularity of TV Dramas
- JTBC Itaewon Class (Share of Audience: 37.65) ( – )
- tvN Hi Bye, Mama! (Share of Audience: 11.9) (▲1)
- SBS Hyena (Share of Audience: 6.82) (▲1)
- JTBC When the Weather Is Fine (Share of Audience: 5.33) (▲1)
- tvN Money Game (Share of Audience: 5.2) (▲1)
- tvN The Cursed (Share of Audience: 4.46) (▲2)
- SBS Nobody Knows (Share of Audience: 3.89) NEW
- KBS2 Love Is Beautiful Life Is Wonderful (Share of Audience: 2.73) (▽1)
- KBS2 Forest (Share of Audience: 2.53) ( – )
- KBS2 Gracious Revenge (Share of Audience: 2.24) ( – )
The Top 10 Popularity of the Cast in TV Dramas
- Park Seo Joon, Itaewon Class (▲1)
- Kim Da Mi, Itaewon Class (▽1)
- Kim Tae Hee, Hi Bye, Mama! ( – )
- Kim Hye Soo, Hyena (▲1)
- Kwon Nara, Itaewon Class (▲7)
- Go Bo Gyeol, Hi Bye, Mama! (▲20)
- Joo Ji Hoon, Hyena (▲3)
- Kim Seo Hyung, Nobody Knows NEW
- Park Min Young, When the Weather Is Fine (▽2)
- Yoo Teo, Money Game (▲3)
The Non-Dramas on the 1st week of March 2020
TV CHOSUN’s Mr. Trot rose 25.59 percent in popularity versus the previous week and succeeded in breaking its own highest scores. This show has consistently topped the Non-Drama category since its first episode. This week, the contest to determine the finalists drew keen attention from netizens and a whopping eight participants in Mr. Trot were listed on the Top 10 rankings of the Popularity of the Cast in the Non-Drama category.
No. 2 in the Non-Drama category was JTBC’s 2You Project – SugarMan3, which ended while maintaining the second place for four consecutive weeks. Many Netizens have left comments requesting the production of Season 4.
No. 3 was MBC‘s The Masked Singer, which drew keen attention from the viewers due to Song Ga In‘s appearance as one of the judging panel. I Live Alone, ranking fourth in the Non-Drama category, made headlines when Lee Si Eon mentioned the controversy over his donations. Lastly, Radio Star, which rose to the fifth rank, saw a 181.62 percent increase in popularity versus the previous week and succeeded in entering the Top 5 rankings in the Non-Drama category. Singer Yang Joon Il appeared in the show as a guest, sparking enthusiastic cheers from his fans.
The Top 10 Popularity of TV Non-Dramas
- TV CHOSUN Mr. Trot (Share of Audience: 25.59) ( – )
- JTBC 2You Project – SugarMan3 (Share of Audience: 4.39) ( – )
- MBC The Masked Singer (Share of Audience: 3.17) (▲3)
- MBC I Live Alone (Share of Audience: 3.03) (▽1)
- MBC Radio Star (Share of Audience: 3.02) (▲11)
- SBS Handsome Tigers (Share of Audience: 2.57) (▲2)
- tvN Great Escape 3 (Share of Audience: 2.38) ( – )
- SBS Unanswered Questions (Share of Audience: 2.03) (▲2)
- KBS2 The Return of Superman (Share of Audience: 1.88) (▽5)
- SBS Running Man (Share of Audience: 1.87) (▲4)
The Top 10 Popularity of the Cast in TV Non-Dramas
- Lim Young Woong, Mr. Trot ( – )
- Lee Chan Won, Mr. Trot (▲1)
- Jeong Dong Won, Mr. Trot (▲3)
- Kim Ho Jung, Mr. Trot ( – )
- Young Tak, Mr. Trot (▽3)
- Jang Min Ho, Mr. Trot (▲1)
- Yang Joon Il, Radio Star NEW
- Kim Soo Chan, Mr. Trot (▲20)
- Kim Hee Jae, Mr. Trot (▲4)
- Hwasa, I Live Alone (▲264)
The survey was released on March 9 by the TV popularity analysis agency Good Data Corporation after analyzing netizens’ responses, which generated from news articles, blogs/communities, videos and SNSs, for the 26 dramas being on air or scheduled to air from March 2 through March 8.