The public enthusiasm for JTBC’s Itaewon Class looks extraordinary. After premiering in January with the ratings of 5.0 percent (provided by Nielsen Korea), it soared to the 10 percent mark in just two weeks and recorded the ratings of 14.8 percent with the latest 10th episode. For JTBC, the drama is a welcome hit series that has appeared during the brief famine since SKY Castle, which broke the record-high ratings of non-terrestrial TV dramas early last year. TV CHOSUN‘s Mr. Trot, which is about to enter the final round, still has the overwhelming upper hand in the Non-Drama category. Mr. Trot got the highest-ever ratings once again since the launches of Korean comprehensive programming channels, fiercely rising to the average ratings of 32.7 percent nationwide and the highest moment ratings of a whopping 33.7 percent in the last 9th episode. Which other shows have caught the attention of viewers? Let’s check out which programs have made headlines over the past week.
The Dramas on the 4th week of February 2020
JTBC’s Itaewon Class topped the popularity chart of the Drama category for two weeks in a row. Its popularity increased 9.51 percent versus the previous week while the drama also succeeded in breaking its own scores. Many say that Ahn Bo Hyun‘s passionate acting as Jang Geun Won was outstanding and there’s totally no actor who lacks an acting skill in this series. Kim Da Mi and Park Seo Joon respectively ranked first and second on the Popularity of the Cast chart in the Drama category.
SBS’s Doctor Romantic 2 ended in the second place of the Drama category, breaking its own record-high scores of populariy. The viewers expressed their desire to see all the cast members of seasons 1 and 2 in season 3, along with opinions requesting the production of the next season.
No. 3 in the Drama category was tvN’s Hi Bye, Mama! It went up 31.80 percent in popularity compared to the first episode and successfully broke its own record-high scores. While Kim Tae Hee and Lee Kyu Hyung have received positive reviews from netizens thanks to their own fine performances, some left comments saying they were disappointed that other ghosts appeared in the episodes longer than the lead actors.
SBS’s Hyena declined 4.21 percent in popularity compared to the first episode, but the news of Kim Hye Soo, who opened an Instagram account as a name of her role, made huge headline. Meanwhile, JTBC’s new drama When the Weather Is Fine debuted as No. 5 on the popularity chart of the Drama category.
The Top 10 Popularity of TV Dramas
- JTBC Itaewon Class (Share of Audience: 28.81) ( – )
- SBS Doctor Romantic 2 (Share of Audience: 21.44) ( – )
- tvN Hi Bye, Mama! (Share of Audience: 11.8) ( – )
- SBS Hyena (Share of Audience: 7.4) ( – )
- JTBC When the Weather Is Fine (Share of Audience: 6.32) NEW
- tvN Money Game (Share of Audience: 3.92) (▲1)
- KBS2 Love Is Beautiful Life Is Wonderful (Share of Audience: 2.56) (▲2)
- tvN The Cursed (Share of Audience: 2.55) (▽3)
- KBS2 Forest (Share of Audience: 2.4) (▽1)
- KBS2 Gracious Revenge (Share of Audience: 1.81) (▲4)
The Top 10 Popularity of the Cast in TV Dramas
- Kim Da Mi, Itaewon Class ( – )
- Park Seo Joon, Itaewon Class (▲1)
- Kim Tae Hee, Hi Bye, Mama! (▽1)
- Ahn Hyo Seop, Doctor Romantic 2 ( – )
- Kim Hye Soo, Hyena ( – )
- Lee Sung Kyung, Doctor Romantic 2 (▲1)
- Park Min Young, When the Weather Is Fine NEW
- Lee Kyu Hyung, Hi Bye, Mama! (▲1)
- Yang Se Jong, Doctor Romantic 2 (▲3)
- Joo Ji Hoon, Hyena (▽4)
The Non-Dramas on the 4th week of February 2020
TV CHOSUN’s Mr. Trot kept its No. 1 crown with an overwhelming share of ratings, although its popularity declined 1.77 percent versus the previous week. In the latest episode broadcasted this week, the “legend mission” as the semi-final drew keen attention from netizens. The four participants Lim Young Woong, Young Tak, Lee Chan Won and Kim Ho Jung occupied the Top 4 alongside on the Popularity of the Cast chart in the Non-Drama category.
JTBC’s 2You Project – SugarMan3 ranked second in the Non-Drama category for three consecutive weeks. Singers Lee Soo Young and Kim Sa Rang, who appeared as new Sugar Man, received big attention from netizens and many commented that Lee Soo Young’s songs remind them of old memories. Lee Soo Young entered the fifth place on the Popularity of the Cast chart in the Non-Drama category.
MBC‘s I Live Alone rose 8.21 percent in popularity versus the previous week, ranking third in the Non-Drama category for three straight weeks. New guest Kim Hyung Joon, leader of the old K-Pop boy group Taesaja, made headlines for showing his daily life in the latest episode. After airing his recent story, there was a large amount of comments saying, “It was nice to see you again, I’m rooting for you.”
tvN’s Amazing Saturday: DoReMi Market soared 242.04 percent in popularity versus the previous week and ranked fifth in the Non-Drama category, while MBC’s The Masked Singer increased 34.43 percent versus the previous week and ranked sixth in the same category for two weeks in a row.
The Top 10 Popularity of TV Non-Dramas
- TV CHOSUN Mr. Trot (Share of Audience: 23.55) ( – )
- JTBC 2You Project – SugarMan3 (Share of Audience: 5.99) ( – )
- MBC I Live Alone (Share of Audience: 2.79) ( – )
- KBS2 The Return of Superman (Share of Audience: 2.78) ( – )
- tvN Amazing Saturday: DoReMi Market (Share of Audience: 2.49) (▲22)
- MBC The Masked Singer (Share of Audience: 2.46) ( – )
- tvN Great Escape 3 (Share of Audience: 2.13) NEW
- SBS Handsome Tigers (Share of Audience: 2.05) (▲2)
- JTBC Knowing Bros (Share of Audience: 1.84) (▲3)
- SBS Unanswered Questions (Share of Audience: 1.79) (▲10)
The Top 10 Popularity of the Cast in TV Non-Dramas
- Lim Young Woong, Mr. Trot ( – )
- Young Tak, Mr. Trot (▲4)
- Lee Chan Won, Mr. Trot (▲2)
- Kim Ho Jung, Mr. Trot ( – )
- Lee Soo Young, 2You Project – SugarMan3 NEW
- Jeong Dong Won, Mr. Trot (▽4)
- Jang Min Ho, Mr. Trot (▲5)
- Ong Seong Wu, Traveler-Argentina ( – )
- Yang Joon Il, Bae Chul Soo Jam (▲31)
- Yoo Jae Suk, Hangout with Yoo ( – )
The survey was released on March 2 by the TV popularity analysis agency Good Data Corporation after analyzing Internet users’ responses, which generated from news articles, blogs/communities, videos and SNSs, for the 22 dramas being on air or scheduled to air from February 24 through March 1.