The World of the Married, JTBC’s new drama, has conquered the small screen with a mighty force from its first week. Its viewership surpassed 11 percent in just two episodes, while its highest ratings per minute also soared to 12.5 percent. Meanwhile, Heart Signal 3 recorded a surprising viewership of 1.7 percent, up from 0.7 percent for Season 1 and 0.6 percent for Season 2, despite the recent controversy over the cast flaring even before its premiere. Let’s check out which other programs have caught the attention of viewers over the past week (all of the viewership records were provided by Nielsen Korea).
The Dramas on the 4th week of March 2020
JTBC’s The World of the Married made a great start with the No. 1 crown of the Drama category. The popularity scores of The World of the Married are the highest-ever among the first-week scores of the dramas that started airing in 2020. Netizens have given this series positive reviews across the board, including its exciting developments, shocking ending scenes and enthusiastic performances of the actors.
tvN‘s Hi Bye, Mama! rose to the second spot with its higher popularity versus the previous week, but it’s been analyzed that its recent popularity has formed from the negative reactions of netizens. Many have said that its latest narrative doesn’t seem to follow the early synopsis of the drama and the scriptwriter’s writing skills are not that satisfactory.
tvN’s another series Hospital Playlist, which ranked third in the Drama category, drew keen attention from the viewers with its third episode. It simultaneously focused on Jo Jung Suk, who was notified of the divorce with his wife, and Jung Kyung Ho, who attended his patient’s wedding. Most of the audience reacted to the episode favorably, commenting that they enjoyed watching it.
A lot of the viewers have commented on SBS’s Hyena that its recent stories are regrettable, pointing out that its narrative dealing with the victims of domestic violence isn’t so delicate. Likewise, tvN’s new work A Piece of Your Mind has mostly earned the negative responses from netizens, saying “this drama is weird.” On the other hand, MBC‘s new series 365: Repeat the Year has garnered many praises from netizens, saying that it’s much more interesting than they expected.
The Top 10 Popularity of TV Dramas
- JTBC The World of the Married (Share of Audience: 18.01) NEW
- tvN Hi Bye, Mama! (Share of Audience: 12.54) (▲1)
- tvN Hospital Playlist (Share of Audience: 12.06) (▲1)
- SBS Hyena (Share of Audience: 8.28) ( – )
- tvN A Piece of Your Mind (Share of Audience: 6.27) NEW
- MBC 365: Repeat the Year (Share of Audience: 5.94) NEW
- MBC Find Me in Your Memory (Share of Audience: 4.94) (▽2)
- JTBC When the Weather Is Fine (Share of Audience: 4.87) (▽2)
- KBS2 Meow, the Secret Boy (Share of Audience: 3.97) NEW
- KBS2 Once Again (Share of Audience: 3.84) NEW
The Top 10 Popularity of the Cast in TV Dramas
- Kim Hee Ae, The World of the Married NEW
- Kim Tae Hee, Hi Bye, Mama! (▲4)
- Park Hae Joon, The World of the Married NEW
- Kim Hye Soo, Hyena (- )
- Lee Kyu Hyung, Hi Bye, Mama! (▲8)
- Jung Hae In, A Piece of Your Mind NEW
- Jo Jung Suk, Hospital Playlist (▲8)
- Go Bo Gyeol, Hi Bye, Mama! (▲2)
- Joo Ji Hoon, Hyena (▽4)
- Moon Ga Young, Find Me in Your Memory (▽1)
The Non-Dramas on the 4th week of March 2020
Channel A’s Heart Signal 3, suffering from the controversy over the qualifications of some contestants even before it began airing, ranked first in the Non-Drama category in its first week. Many netizens have expressed dislikes to the program that pushed ahead with its broadcast despite the controversy. Some have also commented that Season 3 is boring compared to the previous seasons.
tvN’s Great Escape 3, which has steadily gained popularity since its first episode, ranked second in the Non-Drama category. Netizens have constantly left rave reviews, saying “I think every episode is a legend.” In particular, a number of comments that the latest episode aired this week made the viewers fee the unprecedented levels of horror and fun have emerged online.
MBC’s I Live Alone grabbed the huge attention of netizens as its new guest Ahn Bo Hyun, the rising star who appeared in JTBC’s Itaewon Class, ranked No. 2 on the Popularity of the Cast chart in the Non-Drama category. After his daily life was revealed through the show, many have given Ahn Bo Hyun compliments, saying that he’s “the optimized member for I Live Alone.”
Continuing the popularity of Mr. Trot, TV CHOSUN’s Taste of Mr. Trot, which broadcasted the outing of the 14 trot men (contestants of Mr. Trot), rose 4.26 percent in popularity versus its first episode. SBS’s Unanswered Questions rose 56.74 percent in popularity versus the previous week and ranked fifth in the Non-Drama category. However, there has been negative public opinion over the program’s use of modifiers such as “an extraordinary kid” and “monster” for Jo Joo Bin, one of the sexual predators who operated or subscribed so-called the “Telegram Nth rooms.” There has also been harsh criticism against the current affairs show, saying its episode regarding Jo Joo Bin and digital sexual crime using Telegram was just a edited version of the existing online news articles.
The Top 10 Popularity of TV Non-Dramas
- Channel A Heart Signal 3 (Share of Audience: 7.91) NEW
- tvN Great Escape 3 (Share of Audience: 4.87) ( – )
- MBC I Live Alone (Share of Audience: 4.46) (▽2)
- TV CHOSUN Taste of Mr. Trot (Share of Audience: 4.26) (▲1)
- SBS Unanswered Questions (Share of Audience: 4.02) (▲2)
- SBS Handsome Tigers (Share of Audience: 3.4) (▲6)
- MBC Radio Star (Share of Audience: 2.97) (▽4)
- MBC The Masked Singer (Share of Audience: 2.51) ( – )
- MBC every1 Weekly Idol (Share of Audience: 2.31) (▲27)
- SBS Running Man (Share of Audience: 2.29) (▽6)
The Top 10 Popularity of the Cast in TV Non-Dramas
- Lim Young Woong, Taste of Mr. Trot (▲3)
- Ahn Bo Hyun, I Live Alone NEW
- Jeong Dong Won, Taste of Mr. Trot (▲58)
- Lee Chan Won, Taste of Mr. Trot (▲17)
- Young Tak, Taste of Mr. Trot (▲20)
- Lee Ga Heun, Heart Signal 3 NEW
- NCT 127, Weekly Idol NEW
- Yoon Eun Hye, Radio Star NEW
- Park Ji Hyun, Heart Signal 3 NEW
- Jang Min Ho, Taste of Mr. Trot (▲129)
This survey was released on March 30 by the TV popularity analysis agency Good Data Corporation after analyzing netizens’ responses, which were generated from news articles, blogs/communities, videos and SNSs for the 22 dramas and the 183 non-dramas that are on air or scheduled to air from March 23 through March 29.