Itaewon Class ended in unrivaled popularity, satisfying both the fans of the original webtoon and the viewers. While making big headlines throughout the show, it has presented a new direction for the dramas based on the webtoons with its rich narrative, which goes beyond the original webtoon, and fine acting skills of its actors. In the Non-Drama category, a monopoly of the ratings and the popularity has disappeared since the end of Mr. Trot and other programs have gained similar popularities. Let’s see which programs have caught attention of viewers over the past week.
The Dramas on the 3rd week of March 2020
JTBC’s Itaewon Class finally ended with its five-week run on the top of the Drama category. With its final episode, the series hit its highest ratings of 16.5 percent nationwide and 18.3 percent in the Seoul metropolitan area (provided by Nielsen Korea, as of the pay-per-view households). It also recorded the second highest scores in popularity, following tvN’s latest hit Crash Landing on You, among the dramas aired in 2020. The lead actors Park Seo Joon and Kim Da Mi retained the top two spots on the Popularity of the Cast chart in the Drama category.
Although tvN’s Hospital Playlist ranked second in the Drama category for two consecutive weeks, its popularity dropped 2.21 percent versus the previous week. Jo Jung Suk‘s slick performances have been making headlines day after day. Meanwhile, the viewers have left a number of comments praising for Jeon Mi Do’s acting ability and predicting who is her boyfriend in the story.
tvN’s Hi Bye, Mama! and SBS‘s Hyena, which had their premieres on the same week, succeeded in keeping the same rankings as the previous week, but each of these dramas has earned the different reactions. In case of Hi Bye, Mama!, a lot of netizens have complained that the drama doesn’t focus on the story of Kang Hwa and Yuri, the lead couple, and declared to watch the show no longer. On the other hand, many fans of Hyena, which is on the upturn, have posted comments encouraging other netizens to watch the drama, saying, “the more its episodes come out, the more fun it is.”
The Top 10 Popularity of TV Dramas
- JTBC Itaewon Class (Share of Audience: 37.88) ( – )
- tvN Hospital Playlist (Share of Audience: 9.4) ( – )
- tvN Hi Bye, Mama! (Share of Audience: 8.5) ( – )
- SBS Hyena (Share of Audience: 7.99) ( – )
- MBC Find Me in Your Memory (Share of Audience: 5.68) NEW
- JTBC When the Weather Is Fine (Share of Audience: 3.8) (▲9)
- KBS2 Love Is Beautiful Life Is Wonderful (Share of Audience: 3.32) ( – )
- tvN The Cursed (Share of Audience: 3.15) (▽2)
- tvN Memorist (Share of Audience: 2.57) (▽4)
- SBS Nobody Knows (Share of Audience: 2.12) (▽1)
The Top 10 Popularity of the Cast in TV Dramas
- Park Seo Joon, Itaewon Class ( – )
- Kim Da Mi, Itaewon Class ( – )
- Kwon Nara, Itaewon Class (▲3)
- Kim Hye Soo, Hyena (- )
- Joo Ji Hoon, Hyena ( – )
- Kim Tae Hee, Hi Bye, Mama! (▽3)
- Park Bo Gum, Itaewon Class NEW
- Kim Dong Wook, Find Me in Your Memory NEW
- Moon Ga Young, Find Me in Your Memory NEW
- Go Bo Gyeol, Hi Bye, Mama! (▲1)
The Non-Dramas on the 3rd week of March 2020
There was a remarkable shift in the Non-Drama rankings as Mr. Trot ended on the second week of March. MBC‘s I Live Alone made it to the top spot in the Non-Drama category in a whopping 54 weeks. On the contrary, however, its popularity declined 14.88 percent versus the previous week. Netizens have left favorable reviews on Park Na Rae‘s “Georgina Market” and Lee Si Eon‘s “Hwasa Tour.” In particular, Lee Si Eon ranked eighth on the Popularity of the Cast chart in the Non-Drama category.
tvN’s Great Escape 3 ranked second in the Non-Drama category, having a 1.65 percent increased popularity compared to the previous week. The emergence of the zombies with high-quality makeups has garnered positive reviews from netizens, while high expectations has also been generated for the follow-up episode to be broadcasted next week.
No. 3 was MBC’s Radio Star. The talk show had a 174.39 percent increased popularity versus the previous week and successfully entered the Top 10 rankings of the Non-Drama category. JTBC’s weathercaster Kim Min Ah, one of the guests on the latest show, made headlines by her funny remarks. Some pointed out that Kim Min Ah’s words and deeds were somewhat excessive, but most of the viewers commented that they enjoyed watching the show.
The Top 10 Popularity of TV Non-Dramas
- MBC I Live Alone (Share of Audience: 4.29) (▲1)
- tvN Great Escape 3 (Share of Audience: 4.11) (▲1)
- MBC Radio Star (Share of Audience: 3.94) (▲18)
- SBS Running Man (Share of Audience: 3.93) (▲3)
- TV CHOSUN Taste of Mr. Trot (Share of Audience: 3.38) NEW
- SBS Baek Jong Won’s Alley Restaurant (Share of Audience: 3.17) (▲3)
- SBS Unanswered Questions (Share of Audience: 2.8) (▽1)
- MBC The Masked Singer (Share of Audience: 2.8) (▲3)
- KBS2 You Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook (Share of Audience: 2.61) (▲17)
- KBS2 The Return of Superman (Share of Audience: 2.6) (▽2)
The Top 10 Popularity of the Cast in TV Non-Dramas
- Kang Daniel, Running Man NEW
- Park Bo Gum, You Hee Yeol’s Sketchbook NEW
- Song Ga In, Delicious Rendezvous NEW
- Lim Young Woong, Taste of Mr. Trot NEW
- Kim Min Ah, Radio Star NEW
- Ong Seong Wu, Radio Star NEW
- Ong Seong Wu, Omniscient Interfering View (▲74)
- Lee Si Eon, I Live Alone (▲251)
- Baek Jong Won, Baek Jong Won’s Alley Restaurant (▲8)
- Baek Jong Won, Delicious Rendezvous (▲16)
This survey was released on March 23 by the TV popularity analysis agency Good Data Corporation after analyzing netizens’ responses, which were generated from news articles, blogs/communities, videos and SNSs, for the 26 dramas being on air or scheduled to air from March 16 through March 22.